Tiverton — 25 June 2022
Armed Forces Day
- Fore St
The Armed Forces Day event at Tiverton Pannier Market is shaping up to be an absolute cracker.
A town centre parade will take place from Lowman Green to Gold Street and Fore Street from 11.50am to midday.
The parade, organised by the Royal British Legion, will conclude with Lieutenant General Sir Andrew Ridgway, one of Her Majesty’s Deputy Lieutenants of Devon, and Mayor of Tiverton Cllr Sue Griggs making their way to the market for a tour.
Before and after the parade, there’s lots going on at the market.
There will be a display of six military vehicles, which will be dotted around the south end of the site…
– A 1942 Ford GPW Jeep (British Airborne), which was involved in the D-Day landings in Normandy in 1944 and the rest of the Second World War
– A one-tonne Land Rover 101, which served with 42 Commando (Royal Marines) and carried an 81mm mortar
– A 70-year-old Willys MC US Army jeep, which served in Korea and Vietnam
– A 1954 Willys M38A1 US Army jeep
– A ¾ tonne GS (General Service) Land Rover, fitted with a Clansman Manpack radio clip-in kit
– A British Army Land Rover that has spent the majority of its life in the Royal Logistic Corps, including the 11 Explosive Ordnance Disposal and Search Regiment
Tiverton Sea Cadets will be joined by a sailing boat and Tiverton Air Cadets by a flight simulator, while the Royal British Legion will be alongside them with a stall in the main thoroughfare.
Diamond Twirlers Majorettes will kick off the entertainment with a military performance, featuring three routines, at 10.30am.
The Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy will give a short cameo at 11am before Chloe Marie Aston – The Piano Bike Girl – takes centre stage from 11.15am until the start of the parade.
After the parade, at around midday, In Harmony will transport you back in time with memorable songs from the middle of the 20th century.
Chloe Marie Aston will return to close the entertainment from 12.45pm.
There’s lots more lined up!
Visitors can meet three members of the Force Genesis ocean racing team preparing to row 2,800 miles across the Pacific – and have a close look at the record-breaking 10-metre boat they’ll be doing it in!
Naomi and Hattie from Heathcoat Fabric Retail Shop will be running an open crafts session, where youngsters and others can make flags and do colouring.
Max & Mike’s Street Food, an exciting new business that has made a big impact in villages to the north of Tiverton, will be making its debut at the market with its popular Greek menu.
Visitors can also check out the 25-plus market stalls that are at the market every Saturday from 8.30am to 4pm.
There’s something for everyone!