Gillingham — 25 June 2016
Medway Armed Forces Day Celebrations
- Great Lines Heritage Park,
A free entry celebration event for the entire Armed Forces Family, this is now one of the largest Armed Forces day events in the UK.
Over thirty acres of displays, concerts, have-a-go activities and rides. Primary features include:
- The Royal Engineer Trades Village showcasing the engineering skills taught in the Royal School of Military Engineering, with plenty of opportunities for the young and old to get hands-on experience including Drive-as digger and mini-bricklaying!
- A wide assortment of displays are drawn from 1RSME Regt, 24 Commando Regt RE , 23 Air Assault Regt RE, 101 EOD Regt RE, 3 PWRR, 151 Regt RLC and 254 Medical Regiment.
- Arena and bandstand performances all day with the Band and Corp of Drums of the Royal Logistic Corps, The City of Rochester Pipe Band, The BAE Systems Band and performers from the recent HM Queen 90th Birthday concerts.
- 12.30 will see the start of the Armed Forces and Veterans parade to the Main Arena where a short military drumhead service will be held.
- Other features include Gazelle helicopters, military boats and divers, Royal Engineers hot-air balloon, historic military vehicles, a giant funfair, and display stands from numerous charities and associations supporting the Armed Forces Family.
- Mid-afternoon sees the arrival of the Help 4 Heroes cycle race peleton featuring Invictus Games competitors.
- The day concludes with a traditional Beating Retreat and Sunset Ceremony.
A Park and Ride service will operate from Colonial House, Quayside, Chatham Maritime, Chatham, ME4 4QU. Nearest Railway Station is Gillingham, just ten minutes walk from the venue.