Scarborough — 25 June 2016
Scarborough Armed Forces Day
- 37 Foreshore Road,
Scarborough Borough Council is proud to host its 8th Armed Forces Day that attracts over 30,000 people. This special event takes place on Sandside, West Pier and Foreshore, South Bay, Scarborough YO11 1PB.
Scarborough Armed Forces Day is a day to celebrate and say thank you to the British Armed Forces past, present and future as well as being a family fun day out with a special invite to regional serving military personnel.
We start the day at 10.00hrs as the Vintage Fair opens and at sea, there is a joint exercise demonstration by Scarborough RNLI and HMCG Search & Rescue Sikorsky Helicopter. The civic event is opened at 12 noon by the Town Crier and the Yorkshire Volunteers Band, followed by a welcome by Mayor of the Borough of Scarborough, Cllr Simon Green, followed by presentations of Veterans Badges and Certificates of Achievements to local cadets.
In commemoration of WW1 there will be a 20 minute tribute – “Songs our Soldiers Sang” – a WW1 anthology of morale-boosting songs and stirring marches. In remembrance of WW2 there will be 15 minute RAF BBMF/Battle of Britain Memorial Flight display by a Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster Bomber.
The event finale begins with a spectacular Standards, Veterans and Cadets parade organised by Royal British Legion, Scarborough Branch. The Parade is escorted by the Yorkshire Volunteer Band which halts at the Formal area for the AFD flag presentation to local veteran with citation. This is followed by a Service of Thanksgiving with exhortation, last post, one minute silence, reveille and Kohima epitaph.
The event closes at 17.00 hrs with “Three Cheers” to the Armed Forces led by the Town Crier.
Activities on Sandside include:
• A vintage market with over 20 exciting stalls with musical entertainment from a traditional Allan theatre organ and 1940’s style singer to create a nostalgic atmosphere.
• A range of vintage military vehicles, cars, motorbikes and a fire engine supplied by local enthusiasts.
• Muster and fallout sites for the Standards and Veterans Parade
• Demonstration areas for cadet activities
Activities on Foreshore include:
• Heroes Welcome HQ for visiting military families (http://heroeswelcome.co.uk/scarborough)
• Over 40 military charity and welfare stalls
• Formal Area – civic ceremonial activities, review of parades, church service, marching band displays by North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Pipes & Drums Band and the Band of the Yorkshire Volunteers
• WW1 exhibition of the Bombardment of Scarborough.
Activities on West Pier include:
• Flight Simulator – Lancaster Bomber or Red Arrows fast jet
• The Queens Own Yeomanry: Climbing tower, inflatable assault course, various green vehicles including a WMIK that will lead the Veterans parade.
• Military recruiting, vehicles and exhibits
• 4Yorkshire Regiment Military vehicles, equipment & weapons
Activities on Southbay beach include:
• Military assault course, Military Adventure activities plus bungee rides, laser battle etc
and in the evening …
• Twilight Naval Warfare-miniature naval battle on Peasholm Park lake
• Early evening concert at the Scarborough Spa by the Yorkshire Military Band
• Help for Heroes Summer Ball at The Royal Hotel, Scarborough
Flag Raising Ceremony – 20 June
To launch Scarborough Armed Forces Week, a Flying the Flag Ceremony will be held outside Scarborough Town Hall, 10.00 for 10.30 led by the Mayor of the Borough of Scarborough, Cllr Simon Green on Monday 20 June 2016.