Weston-super-Mare — 17–18 June 2017
Weston Armed Forces Weekend 2017
- Weston-super-Mare BS23 1BE
The Armed Forces Weekend has developed into a must see two-day event that incorporates a wonderful Air Show, and is the result of 12 months dedicated work by the organising committee. The purpose of the event is to showcase the brilliant work of our local Armed Forces Family to the region, and give visitors of all ages the opportunity to show their appreciation and for the Armed Forces Community to reciprocate.
The 2017 Armed Forces Weekend will again take place on the same weekend as Weston Air Show, which last year generated in excess of 140,000 visitors over the weekend (wet weather to be taken into account). The event is formed around four major components – Parade, Armed Forces Village, Arena Displays and Drumhead Service.
• The Parade is open to all and veterans are encouraged to lead, the disabled being capably assisted by cadets where required. The Parade weaves its way from the Town Centre, down the Seafront to the arena where the Armed Forces Day flag is raised.
• Armed Forces Village – This occupies approximately a one-acre site and will be comprised of static military displays, vehicles, Military Charities and Cadet stands. Visitors will be able to meander through the village and interact with exhibitors over the entire weekend.
• Arena Displays – We are aiming to provide an exciting program of military themed displays in a central arena which would be flanked by stadium style seating. The exact details of the displays are being worked on at present but includes displays from Cadets, Marching Bands and Re-enactment Groups, Choirs and Tri-Service Display Teams, to name a few.
• Drum-head service – The arena will also be used for the Opening Ceremony and Drum-head Closing Service. The Drum-head Service is a particular favourite with our Veterans and is delivered by our Steering Group Chaplain personally. This Service is the culmination of the whole weekend and is traditionally attended by a vast array of Dignitaries and the majority of the Public.